Either I am exceptionally confused, or the documentation in 8.5.3 appears to be
wrong.  Could someone clarify what I'm missing?

The documentation states: "In short, this is the difference between
abbreviations and full names: abbreviations always represent a fixed offset
from UTC, whereas most of the full names imply a local daylight-savings time
rule, and so have two possible UTC offsets."  "PST" is given as a specific
example of an abbreviation in this case.  But it appears that using "PST" gives
you a time zone rule:

CREATE TABLE t (
   z TIMESTAMP WITH TIME ZONE
);

insert into t values ( '2011-03-13 01:00 PST'::timestamptz);
insert into t values ( '2011-03-13 01:00-7'::timestamptz );
update t set z = z + '2 hours'::interval;

select * from t;
 2011-03-13 04:00:00-07
 2011-03-13 03:00:00-07
(2 rows)

--

But if "PST" really did imply a fixed offset, shouldn't the results be the same?

--
-- Christophe Pettus
   x...@thebuild.com