Jeff Adams wrote on 01.10.2011 23:30:
Greetings,

I have a large table (~19 million records). Records contains a field
identifying a vessel and a field containing an time (epoch). Using the
current rows vessel and time values, I need to be able to find the next
lowest time value for the vessel and use it to compute how much time has
elapsed between the records. I have tried a scalar subquery in the SELECT,
which works, but it runs quite slowly. Is there an alternative approach that
might perform better for this type of query. Any information would be
greatly appreciated. Thanks...

Jeff

Something like:

SELECT vessel,
       time_column,
       time_column - lag(time_column) over (partition by vessel order by
time_column) as diff
FROM your_table

No sure how good that performs though.