What is a GUC and how do I use it?

On 11/17/2011 9:46 AM, Tomas Vondra wrote:
On 17 Listopad 2011, 17:32, hubert depesz lubaczewski wrote:
On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 09:29:11AM -0700, J.V. wrote:
I am in need of a tool or method to see each/every SQL query that
hits the PostgreSQL database.  By query I mean the query in SQL
syntax with all the parameters passed.

What I want to do is:
     1) see the query
     2) Determine how long the query takes to execute
     3) Possibly log both of the above to a log file

Is there any tool internal to PostgreSQL that would allow me to do this?

I cannot monitor it from the code that is actually connecting&
sending the query.

any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated.
just enable logging of queries.
As depesz mentioned, there's a log_min_duration GUC, that allows you to
log queries that exceed some time interval. If you want to log all
queries, you may set this to 0 but it may easily fill your log with
garbage.

There are two contrib modules that might help you - pg_stat_statements and
auto_explain. The former one is probably more interesting in this case.

Tomas