Agreed on the importance of understanding the transaction modes.

I was specifically pointing to the potential latency of blocked reads
during splitting nodes on inserting when rebalancing.  But as Paul points
out, postgres does Ang/Tan splits.  While less optimal than R* splits,
Ang/Tan is faster as I recall.  So it might not be so bad overall.

  And I appreciate the tip to look at pgPool which I didn't know about and
will read up.

Thanks,
Carlos