On 08/23/2012 09:32 PM, Gauthier, Dave wrote:

The view approach for queries is workable, at least for queries.  Thanks for
the input on that and the idea to replicate the various aliases in the view!

The key issue with all your approaches is whether the client can ever `UPDATE` the view. If they can, and you duplicate the column under multiple aliases, what happens when they `UPDATE` two of the aliases to different values?

I too would like to shoot the clients.  But as they say, the customer is always
right !

Heh, I wouldn't shoot them. Fire the client means:

    http://sixrevisions.com/project-management/how-to-fire-bad-clients/

--
Craig Ringer