On 04/04/2013 04:28 PM, Robert Lefkowitz wrote:
Not sure if this is a feature request or a bug report.

I'm trying to use Foreign Tables for a variety of things and it is useful to
have a foreign table which appears to be read/write.

Having set one up, I can select data from it.   However, I can't insert, update
or delete.

No worries, thinks I.  I'll just create an   INSTEAD OF TRIGGER -- and handle
the updates that way.

However, one can't create a TRIGGER (in PosgreSQL version 9.2) on a foreign
table -- the error message is:  not a table or view.

My current workaround is to create a view which is defined as   CREATE VIEW
viewOnForeignTable AS SELECT * FROM foreignTable

I can then create INSTEAD OF TRIGGERs on viewOnForeignTable, as well as SELECT
from viewOnForeignTable -- so that becomes the canonical interface.

However, it seems like it should be just as acceptable to apply the INSTEAD OF
TRIGGERs to the FOREIGN TABLE .

Should I consider this a bug (that I can't create aTRIGGER on a foreign table?)
or a feature request (to allow creating TRIGGERs on foreign tables)?

FYI, 9.3 will have update/insert/delete depending on the capabilities of the underlying Foreign Data Wrapper:

http://www.depesz.com/2013/03/17/waiting-for-9-3-support-writable-foreign-tables/

Not sure if that fills your need?

You could file a feature request but new features are not added to minor releases, so you will not see it until a later major release. At a guess 9.4+.

Thanks,

r0ml

--
Adrian Klaver