Thanks everybody for your valuable comments.

I can specify how many versions of the files should be kept on Tivoli.

The database will regularly get new data and there is a continuous process
of data cleaning. It is a database mainly for research purposes and a few
researchers are using it.

I will explore the options mentioned. After the first read it looks like
continuing pg_dump is not a bad idea - maybe with some optimization (like
using diff's).

Regards
Johann