On Wed, Aug 7, 2013 at 8:43 AM, David Johnston <pol...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Where the PostgreSQL license comes into play is if you make alterations to
> the PostgreSQL database itself - the underlying engine implemented in C and
> to some degree the supporting utilities written in various languages.
> Anything contributed to the core PostgreSQL project becomes open-source but
> you are permitted to create a commercial port of PostgreSQL with
> proprietary
> code under terms different from those for the core PostgreSQL project.  As
> your application is most likely NOT one of these ports I'll stop here.

That my be true for MySQL, but I don't think the applies to PostgreSQL.
Several companies have forked PostgreSQL into their own proprietary product.

Here's a nice presentation on the subject that was put together by Josh
Berkus:
http://www.slideshare.net/pgconf/elephant-roads-a-tour-of-postgres-forks

--
Regards,