Bruce Momjian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> No, we have no ability to randomly pick rows to use for estimating
> statistics.  Should we have this ability?

That would be really slick, especially given the fact that VACUUM runs
much faster than VACUUM ANALYZE for a lot of PG users.  I could change
my daily maintenance scripts to do a VACUUM of everything, followed by
a VACUUM ANALYZE of the small tables, followed by a VACUUM ANALYZE
ESTIMATE (or whatever) of the large tables.

Even cooler would be the ability to set a table size threshold, so
that VACUUM ANALYZE would automatically choose the appropriate method
based on the table size.

Chris

--
Chris Jones                                    SRI International, Inc.