On 09/24/2014 07:22 AM, Seref Arikan wrote:
This is interesting. Most binary encoding methods I use produce smaller
files than the text files for the same content.
Having read your mail, I've realized that I have no reason to accept the
same from the jsonb. I did a quick google search to see if it is wrong
to expect binary encoding to decrease size and saw that I'm not alone
(which still does not mean I'm being reasonable).
This project: http://ubjson.org/#size is one of the hits which mentions
some nice space gains thanks to binary encoding.

The "much larger" part is a bit scary. Is this documented somewhere?

I believe Merlin is referring to the issue in this thread:

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/27839.1407467...@sss.pgh.pa.us

Best regards
Seref

--