I have a database that has started to constantly hang after a brief period of
activity

looking at `select * from pg_stat_activity;` I roughly see the following each
time:

        process 1 | <IDLE>
        process 2 | <IDLE> in transaction
        process 3 | <IDLE> in transaction
        process 4 | <IDLE>
        process 5 | <IDLE>
        process 6 | <IDLE>
        process 7 | INSERT INTO table_a ........  RETURNING id

occasionally I'll see

        process 8 | UPDATE table_b

Does anyone have tips on how I can troubleshoot this.

I was hoping there would be some way to show the history of the "<IDLE> in
transaction" processes, but I couldn't find them.

I was also wondering if the "RETURNING id" might have something to do with this.

I'd appreciate any pointers in trying to figure out what is causing this.