David G Johnston wrote

>> Jonathan Vanasco-7 wrote
>>> I ran into an issue migrating from 9.1 to 9.3 on ubuntu using pg_upgrade
>>>
>>> the default ubuntu package, and the one from postgresql.org, both store
>>> `postgresql.conf` in etc as
>>> `/etc/postgresql/VERSION/main/postgresql.conf`
>>>
>>> however, the pg_upgrade script expects it in the `datadir`.
>>>
>>> the simple solution seems to be just symlinking the /etc files into the
>>> data dirs.
>>>
>>> it took me a while to realize this was the error.
>>>
>>> it might make sense to upgrade the docs with a note about what should be
>>> in the data dir to enable an upgrade.
>> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Using_pg_upgrade_on_Ubuntu/Debian
>>
>> It would make more sense for the Debian packagers people to write a
>> pg_upgradecluster wrapper like they have done for the other key programs.
>>
>> David J.
> Note it appears there is a pg_upgradecluster program, but it doesn't
> appear to a wrapper for the official program...
>
> David J.

<should finish skimming before I post things....>

Anyway, without self verification, it appears from here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/postgresql-common/+bug/939260

that you can instruct pg_upgradecluster to use the official program to do
the upgrade instead of its old method - whatever that was...

David J.