On Jan 19, 2015, at 5:07 PM, Stefan Keller wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm pretty sure PostgreSQL can handle this.
> But since you asked with a theoretic background,
> it's probably worthwhile to look at column stores (like [1]).

Wow. I didn't know there was a column store extension for PG -- this would come
in handy for some analytic stuff we run!

I know that PG can handle my current system "at scale".  I'm really just
wondering what the possible slowdowns/improvements will be.

Doing a rewrite of the entire row + updating the various indexes seems to be a
lot of unnecessary IO.  At some point it will make sense to minimize that and
isolate the heavy-write columns from impacting the rest of the table's
performance.