On 07/27/2015 06:48 AM, Furlong, Shane wrote:
I am trying to upgrade from PostgreSQL 9.0.22 to 9.4.4.

When I attempt to execute pg_upgrade, I get the following error:

*Performing Consistency Checks*

*-----------------------------*

*Checking cluster versions*

*This utility can only upgrade to PostgreSQL version 9.4. *

The command I am executing is:

/app/PostgreSQL/9.4/bin/pg_upgrade -b /app/PostgreSQL/9.0/bin -B
/app/PostgreSQL/9.4/bin -c -d /pgsql/stip/data9 -D /pgsql/stip/data94

The data directory for 9.4 is a copy of the data directory for 9.0.  I
am able to login to the 9.0 data via the 9.0 server and client, so I
cannot see how pg_upgrade thinks the data is at a 9.4 level.

Well there's your problem:) The the new(9.4) data directory needs to have been created by 9.4. Right now pg_upgrade thinks it is doing a 9.0 to 9.0 upgrade. The error message is not telling you it is at 9.4 but at a Postgres other then 9.4.

Use the 9.4 initdb or pg_ctl init to create a new data directory that pg_upgrade can move the 9.0 data to.

The error message is not of much help.  I have tried searching for an
article or document that addresses this particular error message to no
avail.

Thank you,

*Shane Furlong*

U.S. Department of Energy

Office of Scientific and Technical Information (OSTI)

(865) 574-9316, Rm 206-1, office

(865) 973-3276 mobile

furlo...@osti.gov <mailto:furlo...@osti.gov>

--