On 8/13/2015 2:49 PM, Jeff Janes wrote:
I am looking for an extension or a technique that will allow me to
intercept a query by the exact query text, and replace that query with a
different one.

The context is running a third-party app which issues queries I have no
control over.  I'd like to intercept a specific query (which has no bind
parameters) and either replace the query text with a different text
which, for example, swaps out an "in list" clause to instead be an
"exists (subquery)".

Or just wrap the query in a "set enable_* =off;" or "set work_mem=*;"
before and a reset of it after.

Is there anything out there like this?  This would be for 9.4.

I'm willing to put the query text, and its replacement, directly into
the extension source code and compile it, but of course something more
flexible would be ideal.

Thanks,

Jeff

Have you looked at pg_bouncer? You'd have to make changes to the source, but it's got a bunch of what you'd need. It sits in the middle and could swap out text pretty easy. I'd guess.

-Andy