Oops, I forgot to mention pg_initicluster, which is used to initiate the
various version/cluster combinations in Ubuntu.
It makes it easier to have several versions and clusters on the same
server, albeit that is not what most people/companies usually do.
eg: In Ubuntu, you could possibly have the following on one server:

Ver Cluster Port Status Owner    Data directory                    Log file
9.1  prod    5432 online  postgres /var/lib/postgresql/9.1/prod
/var/log/postgresql/postgresql-9.1-prod.log
9.1  dev      5433 online postgres /var/lib/postgresql/9.1/dev
/var/log/postgresql/postgresql-9.1-dev.log
9.4  prod    5435 online  postgres /var/lib/postgresql/9.4/prod
/var/log/postgresql/postgresql-9.4-prod.log
9.4  dev      5436 online postgres /var/lib/postgresql/9.4/dev
/var/log/postgresql/postgresql-9.4-dev.log
9.4  qa       5437 online postgres /var/lib/postgresql/9.4/qa
/var/log/postgresql/postgresql-9.4-qa.log