Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2015 15:41:06 +0100
From: Karsten Hilbert <karsten.hilb...@gmx.net>
To: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] long transactions / backend memory usage

On Thu, Nov 26, 2015 at 03:35:49PM +0100, kri...@tvnetwork.hu wrote:

We have run into a case where we run a long transaction, and during the
transaction the backend process's memory usage is growing constantly.

I've written a script to simulate this, please someone confirm if it is
normal or not.

The script just inserts and removes rows in a table in a single transaction.
If given a parameter, the same row is being inserted and removed.

The latter case also produces constantly increasing backend process memory
usage.

Create the table as in the script, and after run:

$ perl pqtest.pl 5

I've been running the script for nearly 40 minutes right now, it has done
120k iterations, and the RSS of the postgresql process is still growing.

This can be reproduced on 9.3 and 9.4 also.

Can it be reproduced when implemented in another language, too ?

Karsten
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346