On 1/21/2016 11:07 AM, jwienc...@comcast.net wrote:

I'm looking for a tool to automate PostgreSQL cluster management failover in the event the master database were to become unavailable. Currently are manually issuing a "pg_ctl promote" once we become aware that the master database has crashed.

Is repmgr a via solution?  Please pass along experiences with repmgr.

Are there any other tools available to automatically issue the "promote" in the event of a master database crash?

repmgr is a tool you could use in conjunction with a generic cluster management system like linuxha/heartbeat, vcs, etc.

the most difficult part is reliably determining that A) the master has crashed, and B) fencing the failed old master so it doesn't wake up and think its still in charge.