On Sun, 4 Sep 2016, Charles Clavadetscher wrote:

Are you able to connect to the new instance with any user at all, e.g.
with psql? If so you can use the command \du to list all users.

Charles,

  No. The postmaster is not running; trying to start it requires a password
which is also rejected.

  Since I have the pg_dumpall data in a large .sql file I think the best
solution is for me to remove the 9.5.4 package completely, re-install from
the package tarball, run initdb, then start the postmaster and restore all
the databases in the cluster.

  I'm thinking that without paying attention when I initially ran initdb I
used a commandline found on a web site (rather than just reading the man
page) and used the -W option which requires a password for everything. So
starting over from scratch _should_ remove all issues and successfully end
this thread.

Thanks,

Rich