On 2016-10-20 22:37:15 +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 20, 2016 at 10:21 PM,  <fred...@huitfeldt.com> wrote:
> > - remove a file called backup_label, but I am not certain that this file is
> > in fact there (any more).
>
> It is never a good idea when you are trying to restore from a backup,
> backup_label contains critical information when restoring from a
> backup, so you may finish with a corrupted data folder.

And this actually seems like a likely source of these errors.  Removing
a backup label unfortunately causes hard to diagnose errors, because
everything appears to be ok as long as there's no checkpoints while
taking the base backups (or when the control file was copied early
enough). But as soon as a second checkpoint happens before the control
file is copied...

Fredrik, how did you end up removing the label?

Greetings,

Andres Freund