>> I think MONEY is a great datatype, at least in theory.
>
> I personally find it pretty useless to be honest - especially because
> the currency symbol depends on the client.

I should have been more clear: I find the underlying idea of storing a
fixed-scale decimal number as a pre-scaled int8 column a good idea.

But MONEY is the only standard datatype that does so, and in its
current implementation it's horrible, because of all the shortcomings
we both mentioned.

That's why I was asking whether: 1. is there a way to remove the
dollar and commas from its default input/output format; and 2. is
there any other fixed-scale decimal extension type that is stored as
an int8, possibly with the scale specified as part of the column
definition (eg. FIXED(4))

-Tobia