On 11/30/2016 10:27 AM, Sinclair, Ian D (Ian) wrote:
The actual upgrade will be that I have an existing server running 9.3 on
RHEL 6.2. We’ll have to do a backup of the database, then deploy a new
OVA to get to RHEL 7 with PG 9.6, then restore the database. Are there
any specific steps that I’ll have to execute in the scripts that will
restore the database to get the 9.3 data to work with 9.6?

Dump the 9.3 database using the pg_dump(all) from 9.6.

Go here:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/release.html

and read the notes for 9.4, 9.5, 9.6:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/release-9-4.html
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/release-9-5.html
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/release-9-6.html

In particular the section:

E.8.2. Migration to Version X.X

Since all my users will be getting to 9.6 from a new system deployment,
not by any sort of partial upgrade, do I need to worry about trying to
get a correct version of the setup script with upgrade handling? (Other
than whatever I need for the answer above.)

Thanks

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.kla...@aklaver.com