On 03/08/2017 02:01 PM, John Iliffe wrote:

Please use Reply All so others get your posts.
Ccing list

On Wednesday 08 March 2017 16:40:03 you wrote:
On 03/08/2017 01:28 PM, John Iliffe wrote:

-------------------------------
[root@prod04 John]# su postgres
[postgres@prod04 John]$ pg_ctl start -D /usr/pgsql_tablespaces
could not change directory to "/home/John": Permission denied
server starting

This is somewhat suspicious.

For the list the below is from a previous message which I forgot to Cc.

What if you shutdown the Postgres server and then su - postgres to and
run?:
I was starting postgres as user postgres; but it was still in my home
directory. Everything did start but I changed to /usr/pgsql_dataspaces and
the message went away.  Since there is no requirement to actually cd to
anything the message is a bit of a red herring.

That said, I'm not sure how it will be handled by the system start up task.
I'll have to check when I add it.  These are unusual manual (re)starts.

pg_ctl start -D /usr/pgsql_tablespaces

Along that line what user 'owns' /usr/pgsql_tablespaces?

/usr/pgsql_tablespaces is owned by postgres, group postgres, with
permissions drwe...... on the directory and rw....... on all the files.
This would seem correct to me.

Well this indicates the socket is working.

What if you do?:

psql -U postgres -h ::1

[root@prod04 John]# psql -U postgres -h ::1
psql (9.6.2)
Type "help" for help.

So Postgres is binding to IPv6.

That is set in pg_hba.conf. The default is:

local   all             all                                     trust

Yes, I recall major changes to that file that I did on the current server.
But that was at least 5 years ago :-(

I have that one fairly tightly locked down since this is a web server.

lsof says that there is nothing assigned to postmaster at this time.

Given that you can connect I have to believe lsof would show something, so what options are you using with lsof and what user are you running it as?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.kla...@aklaver.com