On 03/17/2017 06:42 AM, Steve Clark wrote:
Hi List,

I am running postgresql 8.4.20 on CentOS 6. Things have been running fine for a
long time
then I rebooted. Postgres came up but when I tried to connect with psql on the
local machine
I got

psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory
        connections on Unix domain socket "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432"?

The socket is actually being created (and always has been) in /tmp

So you built Postgres from source?

I worked around the problem temporarily by
ln -s /tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432 /var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432

What controls where psql looks for the socket?

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/23876.1488949292%40sss.pgh.pa.us

"With the default configure options you used, the postmaster would have put its Unix socket file into /tmp, not /var/run. I wonder whether your
problem is that you're trying to connect to it with distro-supplied
psql+libpq that expects to find the Unix socket in /var/run."

Thanks,
Steve

--
Adrian Klaver