On 04/19/2017 11:57 AM, Jeff Janes wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 8:24 AM, Steve Clark <steve.cl...@netwolves.com
> <mailto:steve.cl...@netwolves.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hello,
>
>     I am confused. I have a table that has an incrementing primary key id.
>
>     When I select max(id) from table is returns almost instantly but
>     when I select min(id) from table it takes longer than I want to wait.
>
>     Shouldn't postgresql be able to quickly find the minimum id value in the
>

> Not if the low end of the index is stuffed full of obsolete entries, which
> haven't been cleaned up because it is not being vacuumed often enough.
>
> Do you have autovacuum on?  Have you manually vacuumed the table recently?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jeff
Hi Jeff,

Autovacuum is turned on.

 schemaname |        relname        | last_vacuum |        last_autovacuum
  | vacuum_count | autovacuum_count
------------+-----------------------+-------------+-------------------------------+--------------+------------------
 public     | netflow               |             | 2017-04-11
01:18:53.261221-04 |            0 |                1

It is a large table.
select pg_size_pretty(pg_relation_size('netflow'));
 pg_size_pretty
 1267 GB

select pg_size_pretty(pg_total_relation_size('netflow_pkey'));
 pg_size_pretty
 287 GB

Regards,
Steve