On Fri, Jun 30, 2017 at 9:07 AM, Adrian Klaver <adrian.kla...@aklaver.com>
wrote:

> On 06/30/2017 04:58 AM, Timokhin Maxim wrote:
>
>> BTW, we are moving using:
>>
>> pg_basebackup -h servername -R -P -D /data/upgrade/94 -U pgsql -v
>> —xlog-method=stream —checkpoint=fast
>>

> Going from 9.4 to 9.6 is a major version upgrade and you cannot use
> pg_basebackup for that. Besides I can't see how you even got the 9.6.3
> server to start:
>
> /usr/local/pgsql94/bin/pg_basebackup -D /home/aklaver/pgback_test94 -U
> postgres -p 5412 -v --xlog-method=stream
>
> /usr/local/pgsql96/bin/pg_ctl -D /home/aklaver/pgback_test94/ start
> server starting
> FATAL:  database files are incompatible with server
> DETAIL:  The data directory was initialized by PostgreSQL version 9.4,
> which is not compatible with this version 9.6.3
>

>> After that we are upping version to 9.6.3.
>>

> Given the above how did you actually get 9.6.3 to start?
>

> I've looked through the documentation https://postgrespro.ru/docs/po
>> stgrespro/9.6/app-pgbasebackup and didn't find details about how
>> pg_basebackup works with b-tree indexes.
>> Is it possible that pg_basebackup just copies indexes as is and that is
>> cause of corruption. Or it pass indexes as instruction that says "after
>> upping db make indexes" ?
>>
>> Thank you.
>>

>> --
>> Timokhin 'maf' Maxim
>>

> --
> Adrian Klaver
> adrian.kla...@aklaver.com

*Since you are doing a major version upgrade, the correct way to do that,
depending on the size of your DB, is *

*A. pg_dumpall on old version and pg_reload on new version*

*OR*

*B. pg_upgrade*

*https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/upgrading.html
<https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/upgrading.html>*--
*Melvin Davidson*
I reserve the right to fantasize.  Whether or not you