On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 11:06 AM, Igor Korot <ikoro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, Melvin,
>
> On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 10:42 AM, Melvin Davidson <melvin6...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 10:36 AM, Igor Korot <ikoro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>  Hi, ALL,
>>> Is it possible to get the table ID (or OID) from information_schema
>>> somewhere?
>>>
>>> Thank you.
>>>

>>> --
>>>

>> It 's in pg_class!
>>
>> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/static/catalog-pg-class.html
>>

> But pg_class is in postgres database.
> Can I do something like this:
>
> SELECT oid FROM postgres.pg_class WHERE relname = <my_table_name>;
>
> Or I will have to connect to postgres database?
>
> Thank you.
>

>> IOW:
>> SELECT relname, oid  FROM pg_class WHERE relkind = 'r' ORDER BY 1;
>> --
>> *Melvin Davidson*
>> I reserve the right to fantasize.  Whether or not you
>> wish to share my fantasy is entirely up to you.

*Igor,*

*You do not need to specify "postgres" schema (postgres.pg_class). That is
wrong anyway.*

*FYI, the correct schema is pg_catalog, but  All postgres CATALOGS are
always available regardless of which database you are connected to.*

*and it is in the default search path, so you do not have to specify it.*

*Just do:SELECT oid    FROM pg_class  WHERE relname = <my_table_name>;*

*It will work just fine!  I highly encourage you to RTFM.*