> On Sep 4, 2017, at 10:25 PM, Nico Williams <n...@cryptonector.com> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Sep 4, 2017 at 4:21 PM Steve Atkins <st...@blighty.com> wrote:
> >

> Me too.
>
> https://github.com/wttw/pgsidekick
>
> Select-based, sends periodic keep-alives to keep the connection open, outputs
> payloads in a way that's friendly to pipe into xargs. (Also the bare bones of
> a notify-based scheduler).
>
> Without any kind of access controls on NOTIFY channels, nor any kind of
> payload validation, i just don't feel comfortable using the payload at all.
> Besides, the payload is hardly necessary given that there's a database on
> which you can scribble the payload :)  It suffices that you receive a
> notification, and you can then check if there's anything to do.
>
> My version of this doesn't have connection keepalives, but that's ok because
> that can be added in the form of.... notifications, and the consumer of
> pqasyncnotifier can implement timeouts.  But i agree that timeouts and
> keepalives would be nice, and even invoking a given SQL function would be
> nice.
>
> But the question i have is: how to get such functionality integrated into
> PostgreSQL?  Is a standalone program (plus manpage plus Makefile changes)
> enough, or would a psql \wait command be better?

There's not really any need to integrate it into postgresql at all. It doesn't
rely on any details of the core implementation - it's just a normal SQL client,
a pretty trivial one.

(Whether psql could usefully be reworked to listen for activity on the
connection when it's not actively executing a query is another question).

Cheers,
  Steve