På mandag 13. november 2017 kl. 22:28:40, skrev Peter Geoghegan <p...@bowt.ie
<mailto:p...@bowt.ie>>:
On Mon, Nov 13, 2017 at 12:48 PM, Andreas Joseph Krogh
 <andr...@visena.com> wrote:
 > Thanks.

 As the person that worked on abbreviated keys, I'd like to hear about
 how you get with this. How much faster is it for you?

 I don't usually get to hear about this, because most users don't
 notice that anything in particular gets faster, because there are many
 performance enhancements added to a release.

We haven't migrated any of our databases to v10 yet so I really can't tell.
I'm evaluating ICU-usage as the last step before we decide moving to v10. Being
a per-column setting that means a pg_dump/reload won't cut it (AFAIU), so I'm
not sure we'll take that route as it involves much manual tweaking which we're
really not interessted in spending time on.

When sorting on text, we're usually doing so using an multi-column index, like
for instance "CREATE INDEX xxx ON my_table (lower(name) ASC, created ASC)".
Will abbreviated keys help here?

-- Andreas Joseph Krogh
CTO / Partner - Visena AS
Mobile: +47 909 56 963