Mike Mascari wrote:

Tim McAuley wrote:

Hi,

I have a table which I have populated with over 5000 entries. There is a
combined index placed on two of the columns (both bigint). I am trying
a simple select (i.e. select id where col1 = 1 and col2 = 1) covering
these two columns and it keeps using a seq scan. Is this correct? I
would have thought that with this number of entries that an index scan
should be used.

You must cast the 1 to a bigint:

SELECT id WHERE col1 = 1::bigint AND col1 = 2::bigint

This should probably be listed under FAQ 4.8, but it isn't.

That's it!

I had actually just come across that before reading this email. It gets the explain back into shape anyway!

Thanks!

Tim