Hi Sean,

Yeah - It is declared VOLATILE.  I think there must be something specific with
the way PL/PGSQL handles child processes of a called function.  The child
process actually spawns mpg123 or ogg123 so it has to live beyond the life of
the parent.  Not sure.  What I might do is rewrite the entire procedure from
woe to go in using SPI and see how that goes.  Failing that I guess I could
always peek at the source! : )

Thanks,

Jason

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 04:48 am, Sean Chittenden wrote:
> > Problem is that when I call these particular functions from within
> > plpgsql rather than through a single sql command the child never
> > actually starts (or starts and then exits immediately).
>
> Are you sure?  I can't think of much that'd prevent a C function from
> executing other than how you've declared the function (ie, is PgSQL
> caching the results of the function?).  Make sure you've declared it
> as VOLATILE (or don't declare it anything and it'll default to
> VOLATILE).
>
> http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/sql-createfunction.html
>
> -sc

      joining column's datatypes do not match