Tom Lane wrote:

Recall also that "committed deleted" does not mean "safe to remove".
There may still be live transactions that could see the tuple.  The
"committed deleted" bit just exists to allow subsequent visitors to the
row to skip one of the more expensive steps in deciding whether they can
see it or not.

To determine that a row is removable requires additional tests above and
beyond what backends normally do.

Aah - there is the first bullet hole in my multi-ctid-index-idea. Now the question becomes how expensive these tests are (if a normal backend can do them at all within reason)?

Jan

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 2: you can get off all lists at once with the unregister command (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to [EMAIL PROTECTED])