Hi all,

I have problem on one of our potentional client's linux server with data encoding. I have played with this for some time but with no success. Here is the problem:

I have dump file created with pg_dump on my dev linux machine (PostgreSQL 8.0.1). When I upload the file to the client's server with psql, the data is uploaded but it seems the strings were encoded once again though file header states the data is in UNICODE and the database is in UNICODE too.

The database was initialized with 'initdb --locale=cs_CZ.utf8 -D /var/lib/pgsql/data'.

Here is a sample how the data look:
Akzent Media spoleÃïnost s ruÃïenÄÂm omezenÄË
and how they should look:
Akzent Media spoleÄnost s ruÄenÃm omezenÃm

What is strange on the machine is that there are perhaps two versions of postgresql installed - version 8.0.1 and 7.4.2 so I use the full path to the 8.0.1. I think that the system is Fedora Core (but I'm not sure - unfortunatelly I cannot catch the admin now). We have no real control of the client's server so we cannot install, uninstall etc.

I have also tried to dump some data from our php app - with the same result. phpinfo() says that php was configured against PostgreSQL 8.0.1 but it also says in PostgreSQL configuration info that there is "PostgreSQL(libpq) Version 7.4.2".

It seems to me that the problem might be in:
1) the mixture of the two versions of PostgreSQL in the system
2) some problem with locale
3) something different

Can someone please help me to diagnose this problem so I can solve it and move forward?

Thank you in advance.

Miroslav

begin:vcard
fn;quoted-printable:Miroslav =C5=A0ulc
n;quoted-printable:=C5=A0ulc;Miroslav
org:StartNet s.r.o.
adr;quoted-printable;quoted-printable:;;Vrchlick=C3=A9ho 161/5;Praha 5;;150 00;=C4=8Cesk=C3=A1 republika
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:CEO
tel;work:+420 257 225 602
tel;cell:+420 603 711 413