On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 15:39:28 -0600, josue <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I need to upgrade my dbs from 743 to 801, current data size is around
> 5GB, I've tried this way:
>
>   ./pg_dump -d dbtest -p 9980 | ./psql -d template1 -p 9981
>
> but is too slow, any idea or suggestion to properly upgrade my dbs, I
> also have blobs stored there.

Drop '-d' from the pg_dump command.  '-d' creates a dump file with
insert statements instead of copy statements.  From the pg_dump man
page:

-d
--inserts
              Dump  data as INSERT commands (rather than COPY). This will make
              restoration very slow, but it makes the archives  more  portable
              to other SQL database packages.

George Essig

               http://archives.postgresql.org