On 5/20/2005 2:26 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

numeric_power can in theory deliver an exact answer when the exponent is
a positive integer.  Division can deliver an exact answer in some cases
too --- but the spec doesn't say it must do so when possible.  So I
would say that there is no spec requirement for special behavior for
integral exponents.

There are cases where a numeric_power could in theory deliver an exact answer for a fractional exponent. That is when the exponent is a natural fraction because the result is the m'th root of x^n (for n/m). As an example 4^1.5 = 8. Of course does the m'th root need to produce a finite result, which I think is not guaranteed for arbitrary numbers.

I'm not advocating to do that, just saying it is theoretically possible for a subset of possible inputs.

Jan

     joining column's datatypes do not match