Shane Wright <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Actually I thought that *all* the database had to have fsync() work
> correctly;
> not for integrity on failed transactions, but to maintain integrity during
> checkpointing as well.  But I could well be wrong!

I think you're write, but what I was thinking of is the scenario where
WAL writes are done in small increments, then committed with fsync()
once a full page has been written.  With a sync mount this would
result in the equivalent of fsync() for every small write, which would
hurt a lot.

I dimly recall this sort of thing being discussed in the past, but I
don't know offhand whether PG does its WAL writes in small chunks or
page-at-a-time.

-Doug

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend