On Sep 21, 2006, at 10:54 PM, Charles Ambrose wrote:

I have a fairly large database tables (say an average of  3Million to 4Million records).  Using the pg_dump utility takes forever to dump the

Sounds like your either woefully mis-configured or woefully underpowered or have a short definition of "forever" :-)

Every night we take a dump of our several hundred million row DB in about 49 minutes.  We use the "pg_dump -Fc" format and that comes to a bit over 5GB of data compressed.