On Mar 27, 2007, at 4:09 PM, Tony Caduto wrote:

Another thing is this, how hard could it possibly be for a MS SQL DBA or Oracle DBA to pick up using PostgreSQL? I don't think it would take a decent admin of any database to come up to speed in a very short time as long as they were interested in doing so.

We've been working with a consultant to re-design/optimize some existing DB systems we have running, and his background is mostly Oracle and DB/2. Some of the optimizations -- actually operationally related choices on how to do things -- are remarkably off-base for Postgres. There is a *lot* to learn about a system before one can truly "know" it.