I have a large table (5M items current) that is projected to grow at the rate of 2.5M a month looking at the current usage trends.

the table represents some core standardized user account attributes , while text heavy / unstandardized info lies in other tables.

my issue is this: i'm adding in a 'multiple checkboxes' style field, and trying to weigh the options for db representation against one another.

my main concern is speed - this is read heavy , but I am worried to some degree about disk space (not sure where disk space fits in with pg, when I used to use mysql the simplest schema change could drastically effect the disk size though ).

that said , these are my current choices:

        option a
                bitwise operations
                        and/or operations to condense checkboxes into
searchable field
                        pro:
                                super small
                                fits in 1 table
                        con:
                                could not find any docs on the speed of bitwise
searches in pg

        option b
                secondary table with bools
                        create table extends( account_id , option_1_bool ,
option_2_bool )
                        pro:
                                1 join , fast search on bools
                        con:
                                PITA to maintain/extend

        option c
                mapping table
                        create table mapping ( account_id , option_id )
                        pro:
                                extensible
                        con:
                                slow speed - needs multiple joins , records all
over

I'd personally lean towards option a or b .  anyone have suggestions ?

thanks.

// Jonathan Vanasco