This keeps biting me.  In a trigger function for INSERT OR UPDATE if you try

IF TG_OP = 'UPDATE' AND OLD.foo = 'bar' THEN

it will blow up on inserts because there is no OLD.  I always expect
this to short circuit and am always disappointed.  Easy fix, of
course...

IF TG_OP = 'UPDATE' THEN
       IF OLD.foo = 'bar' THEN

In case this was what the OP was asking about in particular, it still
happens to me in 8.2

- Ian

On 5/17/07, Tom Lane <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Richard Broersma Jr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Does anyone know if logic operations in plpgsql are short circuited in 8.2?

They are often optimized, but if you expect "short circuiting" following
exactly the rules of, say, C, you are likely to be disappointed.  See
the manual:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/sql-expressions.html#SYNTAX-EXPRESS-EVAL

                        regards, tom lane

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq