On 8 December 2017 at 03:58, Andres Freund <and...@anarazel.de> wrote:

> On 2017-12-07 11:26:07 +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
> > PostgreSQL's architecture conflates "connection", "session" and
> "executor"
> > into one somewhat muddled mess.
>
> How is the executor entangled in the other two?

Executor in the postgres sense isn't, so I chose the word poorly.

"Engine of execution" maybe. What I'm getting at is that we tie up more
resources than should ideally be necessary when a session is idle,
especially idle in transaction. But I guess a lot of that is really down to
memory allocated and not returned to the OS (because like other C programs
we can't do that), etc. The key resources like PGXACT entries aren't
something we can release while idle in a transaction after all.