Aleksander,

* Aleksander Alekseev (a.aleks...@postgrespro.ru) wrote:
> > New entries are certainly welcome and encouraged, just be sure to note
> > them as '2018' when you add it.
>
> I proposed a few ideas:

Thanks!

> * High availability / failover based on logical replication
> * Thrift datatype support
>
> Hope these ideas are good enough for GSoC.

The main things are to have a detailed enough description that someone
can write a project plan about what they're going to do over the summer
on that project and the project is of a reasonable size.

HA/fail-over is a very broad topic, with a lot of pieces that need to be
done such that I'm not sure it's really viable, but perhaps a precursor
project (synchronous logical replication seems like a prereq, no?) would
make more sense.  Or, perhaps, a different piece of the HA question, but
solving the whole thing in a summer strikes me as unlikely to be
reasonable.

Regarding the thrift data type, that seems like a pretty good GSoC
project, though I'm not sure why you suggest having pl/pgsql functions
for accessing data from .thrift files- plpgsql can't directly access the
filesystem and the input routines for .thrift-style data would certainly
be best in C.

Thanks!

Stephen