I think I can wrangle this type into GiST just by tweaking consistent(), union(), and picksplit(), if I manage to express my needs in C without breaking too many things. My first attempt segfaulted.
Actually, consistent() can determ actual query data type by strategy number. See examples in ltree, intarray

If all goes to plan, I will end up with an index tree partitioned by contig at the top level and geometrically down from there. That will be as close as I can get to an array of config-specific indices, without having to store data in separate tables.

What do you think of that?

I have some doubt that you can distinguish root page, but it's possible to distinguish leaf pages, intarray and tsearch do that.

Reading your plan, I found an idea for GIN: key for GIN is a pair of (contig, one genome position). So, any search for interset operation with be actually a range search from (contig, start) to (contig, end)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have a low-level technical question. Because I can’t anticipate the maximum length of contig names (and do not want to waste space), I have made the new locus type a varlena, like this:

#include "utils/varlena.h"

typedef struct LOCUS
{
   int32 l_len_; /* varlena header (do not touch directly!) */
   int32 start;
   int32 end;
   char  contig[FLEXIBLE_ARRAY_MEMBER];
} LOCUS;

#define LOCUS_SIZE(str) (offsetof(LOCUS, contig) + sizeof(str))
sizeof? or strlen ?

That flexible array member messes with me every time I need to copy it while deriving a new locus object from an existing one (or from a pair). What I ended up doing is this:

   LOCUS  *l = PG_GETARG_LOCUS_P(0);
   LOCUS  *new_locus;
   char   *contig;
   int    size;
   new_locus = (LOCUS *) palloc0(sizeof(*new_locus));
  contig = pstrdup(l->contig); // need this to determine the length of contig
l->contig should be null-terminated for pstrdup, but if so, you don't need to pstrdup() it - you could use l->contig directly below. BTW, LOCUS_SIZE should add 1 byte for '\0' character in this case.

name at runtime
   size = LOCUS_SIZE(contig);
   SET_VARSIZE(new_locus, size);
   strcpy(new_locus->contig, contig);

Is there a more direct way to clone a varlena structure (possibly assigning an differently-sized contig to it)? One that is also memory-safe?
Store length of contig in LOCUS struct.

--
Teodor Sigaev                                   E-mail: teo...@sigaev.ru
                                                   WWW: http://www.sigaev.ru/