On 01/10/2018 09:22 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
... but I don't think it fixes that, because you couldn't send this new
request without making an assumption about the server version being
new enough to support it.  My entire beef with making server_version_num
be GUC_REPORT is that it would encourage people to write client code that
fails outright against older servers.  I'm afraid what you are suggesting
will be an equally attractive nuisance.

It seems to me that is not our problem. Why do we care if some developer says, "I only work with 9.6"? If I am understanding your complaint.

JD

                        regards, tom lane

PostgreSQL centered full stack support, consulting and development.
Advocate: @amplifypostgres || Learn: https://postgresconf.org
*****     Unless otherwise stated, opinions are my own.   *****