On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 8:32 PM, Tsunakawa, Takayuki
<tsunakawa.ta...@jp.fujitsu.com> wrote:
> As I showed previously, regular file writes on PCIe flash, *not writes using
> PMDK on persistent memory*, was 20% faster with open_datasync than with
> fdatasync.

If I understand correctly, those results are all just pg_test_fsync
results.  That's not reflective of what will happen when the database
is actually running.  When you use open_sync or open_datasync, you
force WAL write and WAL flush to happen simultaneously, instead of
letting the WAL flush be delayed.

> And you said open_datasync was significantly faster than fdatasync.  Could
> you show your results?  What device and filesystem did you use?

I don't have the results handy at the moment.  We found it to be
faster on a database benchmark where the WAL was stored on an NVRAM
device.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company