On 6 February 2018 at 09:51, Joshua D. Drake <j...@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> On 02/05/2018 04:09 PM, David Fetter wrote:
>
>> Does this seem worth coding up in its current form?
>>

> No. The pg_upgrade utility is awesome and I have commended Bruce on
> multiple occasions about his work with it. That being said, the
> "solution" is to support in-place upgrades and our work should be toward
> that.

Yeah. Streaming upgrade is useful, but IMO it's a workaround for upgrade
issues more than a solution in its self. Useful for people who want a
conservative upgrade, but not that big a win. Sure you'd like to be able to
downgrade again if it doesn't go right, but that requires a two-way sync,
which introduces its own problems and failure modes.

Support for reading prior version catalogs in-place is what I see as the
user-friendly end goal. Just start Pg12 on top of a pg11 datadir with the
--allow-upgrade flag and you're done.

But I don't think I'm any keener to do the drudgery required to implement
it than anyone else is... and I share others' concerns about the
maintenance burden imposed, impact on future catalog change freedom, etc.