On Wed, Feb 7, 2018 at 3:42 PM, amul sul <sula...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 7, 2018 at 3:03 PM, Amit Khandekar <amitdkhan...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 7 February 2018 at 13:53, amul sul <sula...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> If an update of partition key involves tuple movement from one partition to
>>> another partition then there will be a separate delete on one partition and
>>> insert on the other partition made.
>>>
>>> In the logical replication if an update performed on the master and standby
>>> at
>>> the same moment, then replication worker tries to replicate delete + insert
>>> operation on standby. While replying master changes on standby for the
>>> delete
>>> operation worker will log "concurrent update, retrying" message (because the
>>> update on standby has already deleted) and move forward to reply the next
>>> insert operation. Standby update also did the same delete+insert is as part
>>> of
>>> the update of partition key in a result there will be two records inserted
>>> on
>>> standby.
>>
>> A quick thinking on how to resolve this makes me wonder if we can
>> manage to pass some information through logical decoding that the
>> delete is part of a partition key update. This is analogous to how we
>> set some information locally in the tuple by setting
>> tp.t_data->t_ctid.ip_blkid to InvalidBlockNumber.
>>

> +1,

I also mentioned the same thing in the other thread [1], but I think
that alone won't solve the dual record problem as you are seeing.  I
think we need to do something for next insert as you are suggesting.

> also if  worker failed to reply delete operation on standby then
> we need to decide what will be the next step, should we skip follow
> insert operation or error out or something else.

That would be tricky, do you see any simple way of doing either of those.

[1] -
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAA4eK1%2BHopDbA3h0oYXE1kuhsU0rLT-hONeeS0SoG36YpeSnGw%40mail.gmail.com

--
With Regards,