On 1 March 2018 at 13:39, Arseny Sher <a.s...@postgrespro.ru> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> In LogicalConfirmReceivedLocation two fields (data.catalog_xmin and
> effective_catalog_xmin) of ReplicationSlot structure are used for
> advancing xmin of the slot. This allows to avoid hole when tuples might
> already have been vacuumed, but slot's state was not yet flushed to the
> disk: if we crash during this hole, after restart we would assume that
> all tuples with xmax > old catalog_xmin are still there, while actually
> some of them might be already vacuumed. However, the same dodge is not
> used for restart_lsn advancement. This means that under somewhat
> unlikely circumstances it is possible that we will start decoding from
> segment which was already recycled, making the slot broken. Shouldn't
> this be fixed?

You mean the small window between

            MyReplicationSlot->data.restart_lsn =
MyReplicationSlot->candidate_restart_lsn;

and

            ReplicationSlotMarkDirty();
            ReplicationSlotSave();

in LogicalConfirmReceivedLocation ?

We do release the slot spinlock after updating the slot and before dirtying
and flushing it. But to make the change visible, someone else would have to
call ReplicationSlotsComputeRequiredLSN(). That's possible by the looks,
and could be caused by a concurrent slot drop, physical slot confirmation,
or another logical slot handling a concurrent confirmation.

For something to break, we'd have to

* hit this race to update XLogCtl->replicationSlotMinLSN  by a concurrent
call to ReplicationSlotsComputeRequiredLSN while in
LogicalConfirmReceivedLocation
* have the furthest-behind slot be the one in the race window in
LogicalConfirmReceivedLocation
* checkpoint here, before slot is marked dirty
* actually recycle/remove the needed xlog
* crash before writing the new slot state

Checkpoints write out slot state. But only for dirty slots. And we didn't
dirty the slot while we had its spinlock, we only dirty it just before
writing.

So I can't say it's definitely impossible. It seems astonishingly unlikely,
but that's not always good enough.