On 14 March 2018 at 09:25, Robert Haas <robertmh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What do you think about the idea of using a projection path as a proxy
> path instead of inventing a new method?  It seems simple enough to do:
>
> new_path = (Path *) create_projection_path(root, new_rel, old_path,
> old_path->pathtarget);
>
> ...when we need a proxy path.

I'm very open to finding a better way to do this, but does that not
just handle the targetlist issue? The proxy path also carries
information which allows the translation of Vars in other places in
the plan from the old rel into the vars of the new rel. Join
conditions, sort clauses etc.

Wouldn't a ProjectionPath just need the same additional translation
fields that I've bolted onto AppendPath to make it work properly?

I've looked at the projection path code but got a bit confused with
the dummypp field. I see where it gets set, but not where it gets
checked. A comment in create_projection_plan() seems to explain that
dummypp is pretty useless since targetlists are modified sometimes, so
I'm a bit unsure what the point of it is. Maybe that just goes to show
that my understanding of projection paths is not that great.