On Wed, Mar 07, 2018 at 06:17:15PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> I agree.  My recollection is that we expended substantial sweat to make
> that type of setup work, and I do not think it was for idle reasons.
> The fact that the behavior is very old doesn't mean it was a bad choice.
> (Also, the fact that the commit message didn't explain the reasoning in
> detail is not much of an argument; we didn't go in for that back
> then.)

Yes, the current behavior is here for some time:
commit: 336969e490d71c316a42fabeccda87f798e562dd
author: Tom Lane <t...@sss.pgh.pa.us>
date: Sat, 6 Nov 2004 23:06:29 +0000
Add code to find_my_exec() to resolve a symbolic link down to the
actual executable location.  This allows people to continue to use
setups where, eg, postmaster is symlinked from a convenient place.
Per gripe from Josh Berkus.

And the original thread is here:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/4973.1099605411%40sss.pgh.pa.us

The last complain on the matter I can find actually involves the same
people as this thread :)
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/54DE457F.2090206%40gmx.net

So the patch should be marked as rejected or at least returned with
feedback?
--
Michael